Monday, January 09, 2006

Getting it all going

It took a while to get enough freelance writing work so after I became a work-at-home-mom, I supplemented that with some contract work, a little Internet selling, and a couple of food service jobs. We weren't trying to replace a big income but looking for enough to cover the utilities, groceries and incidentals and to help with other necessary stuff like the mortgage and insurance.

Several months into the freelancing and all those other sidelines, I landed what turned out to be the best thing yet. I saw an ad in the state paper for a freelance automotive feature writer and hustled to apply for it. They ended up going with someone else but referred me to another department that produces three zoned editions every week. Along with my other two weekly/regular assignments, this one was to be quite regular, as in one to two pieces up to four or five a week.

Oh goody! This was just what I needed to let all the side jobs go! I had long since quit the terrible three-week-long waitressing gig so the 11-month night-and-weekend sandwich-making post was next to go. I backed off the selling and contract work but still do a little of both from time to time. You never know when something like that might come in handy.

So now it's just me, my writing, and my two kids in the working equation!

My website
My writing blog
My mom life blog

No comments: