Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The best job

It's been two years this month that I got my start as a freelance writer, and I have to say it is the best job I've ever had. Although I loved the office job I had and my children were always with me, this is by far a better arrangement for us. That is, other than the times when I'm on the phone with Mayor So-and-so and an ear-piercing scream lets loose from the back of the house or the kids decide to hold their heated squabble right behind my head.

When the only job I'd ever had ended unceremoniously, freelancing was the only option for me. I had to continue contributing to the family income and the kids weren't going to daycare or a babysitter, so there you have it. I had to work from home since I figured not too many offices would take kindly to me announcing that I'd like a job there and oh yeah, there are two little kids who come with the package.

There are lots of home businesses out there and jobs that can be done from home or for yourself, and believe me, I looked into a lot of them. It really boiled down to one thing: there was one thing I knew how to do and do well — writing. It was only natural to look for work in that field. Thankfully I found some. Two years later I wonder why in the world I didn't embark on this career when my first child was born six years ago!

My website
My writing blog
My mom life blog

No comments: