Friday, January 27, 2006

Dressing the part

A change in my usual work outfit was called for one day this week. Should I say, a change in my outside-the-house work outfit, being as my normal work garb includes sweats and fuzzy slippers in the winter and a T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops in the summer.

When I have to leave the house for work in the summer I put on a comfy skirt and top and sandals. My out-in-public work outfit this winter has been a pair of black slacks, a shirt topped with a zipup black hoodie sweater, and either black flats or my walking shoes. Hey, I'm all into comfort now, but at least they are black and gray. I do look a bit like someone walking to work in a big city, except I don't have a big bag with real shoes in it; I have a big bag with a first-aid kit and a Barbie doll in it.


But I couldn't really wear that outfit today, or at least I didn't want to, since I had an interview in a downtown office that's in a fancy bank building overlooking the courthouse square. Now, I'm not into dressing to impress anyone, but the thing is my black slacks are starting to look a little shabby — make that quite a bit shabby — from so much washing and wearing. They're also starting to get a little too big, which in and of itself would be a good thing, but that's the only pair of black slacks that I have that I like to wear. I get stuck on the same outfit, if you didn't get that from the first paragraph.


Feeling like I'd rejected something or someone important, I opted for a button-up sweater (one without a hood!), skirt and boots instead of the frayed pants and athletic shoes. I almost felt official, like I was kind of important. (Actually I go to the Kingdom Hall three times a week and out in the Bible ministry regularly and dress like that all the time; just not for work!) I rather wished for my running shoes when I was out footing it all over downtown snapping photos, and would probably have looked more like the small-time journalist I am had I worn them.


My next interview was at a skating rink, a place where the shabby-looking pants and athletic footwear wouldn't have seemed out of place at all, but I figured if you're going to be dressed wrong, at least be overdressed! It didn't take me long after I got home to take those confining clothes off and slip into my warm fleece, though! Now that's my kind of work outfit!


My website
My writing blog
My mom life blog

1 comment:

Wendy said...

"Confining clothes" - that is the perfect description. I'm so much the same, and that's one of the things I hated about working in an office, being strangled and squeezed by pantyhose and uncomfortable shoes. Give me comfort any day!