Monday, September 29, 2008

Getting started in the print market: Tutorial part 6

Keep an open mind and prepare for rejection

As with getting started on any career path, you need to keep an open mind and be willing to accept rejection. Actually, you should expect it because let's face it, it's going to happen.

My best client came after some negative thinking and then a rejection, in fact. Friends kept urging me to try to work for this newspaper, a large one, but I didn't think I could. Finally I felt ready and then I saw an advertisement for a freelance writer for a weekly advertising section in this paper. It wasn't the dream position, but by this time I just wanted to get my foot in the door with this paper. As the young lady was walking me out after the interview, she said that if things didn't work out with this particular department, I should contact this other certain department.

I didn't get the job I interviewed for so I did contact by phone the other department she mentioned. They did in fact need freelancers and they gave me an assignment right there on the spot. I eventually submitted the requested piece and that led to a stream of assignments that has kept me busy for the last four and a half years.

Another position I got after going into a newspaper office as an afterthought. I was in town on business and we passed right by the newspaper office. It wasn't on my list because at 40-45 minutes from home I figured it was too far away. My husband urged me to go on in with my resume although I did not want to. They had some work for me right then and there.

You just never know what is going to happen.

No comments: