Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Getting started in the print market: Tutorial part 1

Market yourself

For many getting started as a freelance writer seems very overwhelming. It helps to break it down into small steps.

The very first thing you need to do is get yourself ready to market. You need a good resume, a cover letter, a professional looking cover for your cover letter and resume, and some business cards.

When I got ready to go into freelancing, I didn't even have a resume. I had never even so much as prepared a resume before, having been hired straight out of high school (really before). I was completely out of my league in the resume department. My sister and brother-in-law prompted me for things to put in the resume and actually built it for me. Some of my other sisters and my brother looked at it and made some suggestions. Get some help with your resume if you need it and most certainly have it edited/proofread before you present it.

You'll also need a cover letter that says in a few sentences what your purpose is.

There are some good free resources for writing a resume and cover letter. Check online and at the library for them.

Print off several copies of the cover letter and resume and put them inside a clear plastic cover, such as a report cover, or something professional looking like that.

The last thing in marketing materials that you will need is some business cards. Go to www.vistaprint.com and order some of the free cards there. It costs $5.25 to ship them. There are many very nice designs in the free cards.

Now you are ready to collect writing samples. Check back tomorrow.

No comments: