Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I'm wireless!

We finally got my laptop hooked up to the Internet with a wireless connection!

We got the laptop back this spring and my husband has been wanting to get it hooked up to wireless ever since then. He bought me a wireless router and hooked it up, but it wouldn't work properly. It kicked me off the Internet entirely even. I had to call the phone/Internet company and they said we needed to get an Ethernet card. We needed that to hook up to the Internet from our PC instead of the USB port we had been using. (Our PC is an old computer. We bought it in 2000 and have gotten many more years of use out of it than we expected.)

In the meantime I still had a dialup connection so I hooked my laptop up to that sometimes in the phone line upstairs. (The dialup is gone now but I don't need it anymore anyway!)

We got the Ethernet card last Friday night and my husband spent a good portion of the day Sunday getting the wireless connection going. He had some rough spots during the process but he kept at it and was finally successful that evening. I was so impressed and so thankful and still am.

I absolutely LOVE it. Wireless is awesome. My laptop is awesome. I am able to use it and get on the Internet anywhere in the house.

I will have to continue to use the PC as my main work computer because that is the computer that has Microsoft Office. Right now I have the laptop right beside the PC and I'm using the desktop for working/writing stories and the laptop for accessing the Internet, and I'm alternating between the two. Yes, I get distracted easily!

No comments: