Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's been five years!

It's hard to believe it's been this long, but I became an official work-at-home writer mom five years ago!

It was five years ago this month that my job in a newspaper office as an editor, writer, photographer, etc. came to an end after nearly 16 years. I began freelancing for a couple of area newspapers right away and after several months added another one. A couple of years after that, I began producing a newsletter for a nonprofit organization.

In the past five years I've been a regular contributor at several area newspapers, including a couple that I no longer write for because of the distance, and I've produced regular newsletters for several nonprofits. During this time I've also done some editing for different clients. I'm still writing for newspapers, producing newsletters, and doing some editing.

This has been a wonderful opportunity for me, as I've been able to stay home with my children, contribute to the family finances, and do something I've always loved to do. I'm very thankful for this and hope that it continues.

2 comments:

Laura said...

I can't believe it's been that long either, time really goes by fast. It's so good that you've made it work and you are able to do what you want - take care of your family & write!!

Mama Melly B said...

Good to hear that! I enjoy hearing the success stories of other wahms who have managed to mix work and family together.

I have been a freelance writer now myself for three years. I write mainly articles and reports for internet marketers but also have written some myself that I sell and give away to help other moms start making money from home in various ways.

Take care and keep up the good work. I know our kids appreciate our being home with them while we can.